Sunday, December 15, 2013

Mill City Bread Co. Artisan Bread Review

Disclaimer: I received an assortment pack of Mill City Breads complimentary. As always, my opinions are my own.

My family just loves homemade bread but I needed a little nudge to make it more often. That is why I was excited to hear about Mill City Bread Co.  They recently reached out to me to see if I wanted to try some of their new Artisan Bread Mixes.  What a perfect opportunity with all the wonderful soups and stews hubby and I have been cooking up lately.  

Mill City Bread Co. has everything you could every want from Breads to bread making kits, artisan bread mixes, professional quality bread knives, cutting boards and pizza  peels.  They even have these amazing clay oven bread bakers.  Outstanding gifts for anyone that loves to cook or bake.  All these delicious options from Mill City Bread Co. can have you eating homemade bread enjoy all week long.


One of the things I really love about Mill City Bread Co. is that their breads are totally all natural...no artificial anything.
  • No GMO ingredients

  •  no soy or corn products

  • no dough conditioners

  •  no preservatives 

  • no artificial flavors 

    Rustic White Artisan Bread cooling on the rack
    This is just the kind of food I feel good about serving to my family.  I received an assortment pack are available in 5-pack and 10-pack sizes. The 5-pack has one of each bread variety and is on sale now for $22.49. The Five Pack includes classics such as Rustic White, Whole Wheat, Ciabatta, NY Deli Rye, and Bauernbrot. The 10-pack has two of each variety. The 10-pack is definitely the best value on sale now for $39.99.  Mill City Bread Company uses enriched non-bleached, non-bromated flour, pure sea salt (no anti-caking chemicals), and yeast.  Their bread mixes are super easy to make too.  I bake a lot but kind of have had a fear of using yeast.  I know it is strange. Most of my baking is yeast-free but I have made some yeast breads before but it always seems so daunting.  I kind of hold my breath. Yeast. Rising. What to do?  I have to say making Mill City Bread mixes got me over my fear of yeast.  Their process is that easy! I am happy to say if I can do this anyone can. I baked two loaves of bread this weekend...easy peasy!

All blended in a flash
Mix it up for a minute


Here are the simple steps:  You open the large package of bread mix and empty it into a large bowl.  You add the exact amount of water in the recipe (included) and then empty the little packet of yeast in.  You blend it together for about a minute. Mill City Bread has a beautiful dough whisk that can make blending a cinch too.  The dough will seem dry at this point but don't add more water! 
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for about 12 hours. It will rise and more than double.  Make a dough ball by just stretching it a few times and thats it.  You take a minute to prep your clay baker by soaking the top for 15 minutes in water and greasing the bottom with a bit of oil or spray.  Sprinkle the interior of the clay baker with the included corn meal and pop the dough right in. Empty the water from the lid of the clay baker and place it on top of the clay baker.  Place it in a cold oven and set it to 450 degrees and cook for 30 minutes.  Don't peek! After 30 minutes use your oven mitts and remove the clay baker and place the top on a dry kitchen towel. Reduce the oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake uncovered for an additional 50-60 minutes.  Remove bread from clay baker and place on rack to cool for the prescribed time before cutting.  Anywhere from 4-12 hours depending on the receipe. This allows the crust to develop properly.  Soon you will have a delicious artisan bread  that will rival your favorite bakery, only at a fraction of the cost.  Mine came out really delicious...both loaves.  My daughter's friend said they totally looked like a loaf from Pan**a Bakery.  That was a real compliment to me!  You can easily earn some major bragging rights that you made these mouth-watering  breads yourself just like I did!  Pretty impressive, right? 


www.glamamamasgoodies.blogspot.com
NY Deli Rye Ready to Bake



Just finished baking NY Deli Rye



www.glamamamasgoodies.blogspot.com
Cooling on the rack

A few extra tidbits that you might appreciate like I sure did about Mill City Bread Co. 
  • cartons are recyclable and are made from 100% recycled paperboard.
  • cartons are made using 100% wind energy!
  • All mixes are packaged by individuals with disabilities at a nonprofit organization empowering nearly 2,000 people each year to achieve greater independence through employment.
 Visit their site and see all the great bread mixes and supplies they have available. Have some fun with it and let me know how your breads come out.

No comments: