Sunday, January 5, 2014

Easy Carrot, Ginger and Orange Soup (milk and dairy free)



I have seen so many variations of carrot, ginger and orange soups. I played around with a few and added my own special touches.  I like to keep the protein high so I added the chickpeas. You can also use white beans as a substitute. Either will work fine. 

Easy Carrot Ginger and Orange Soup

4 cups low salt vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup low fat coconut milk
1 1/2 cup chopped onions 
2 cups chopped carrots
2 15oz cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger Paste or equal amount of chopped fresh ginger
3 oranges, peeled, halved or 4 mandarins
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1 pinch of ground coriander
Sea salt and pepper to taste
4-6 slices of whole wheat bread, toasted 
(I added a small piece of orange peel but I think it tastes better without it!)


Directions

Heat a skillet pan over medium heat.  Add 1/2 cup of your chosen broth and sauté carrots, onions and ginger for 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk.
 




Add 2 cups (480 ml) of broth. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 15 minutes.
 
Season with salt and pepper to taste  
 
 Serve with toast points

No comments: